Thursday, April 24, 2008

Birthday boy!


That's right everyone!  Zackary just turned one year old!  His birthday party was well documented, so--enjoy!


The traditional shots of baby eating his very own (cup)cake:

At first he was only eating the frosting off the top, then picking the frosting pieces off his fingers and eating it--
Eventually he got to the cake part.


One of the only pictures of Zacky smiling this day.  He wasn't cranky, but he sure wasn't being happy and social.

Showin' off his presents.
Zacky's present from mommy and daddy was this brand new car seat.  And he is now facing forward in the car, which he likes much better. And so do David and I, cause now we can see him when we're in the front. 
Matching hat boys.  

That's it for birthday pictures.  Here's what else we've been doing.

My new haircut!  An awesome friend of mine did this hairstyle and I absolutely love it!  Thanks Cami!  It's gotten lots of compliments.


For the first time in my life, I have my own yard and garden to work on.  For the past week or two, I've had my own little garden to work on.  So far in this little 10 x 10 garden I've-- removed approximately 4 million walnuts that our neighbor's walnut tree has so graciously dropped in our yard, dug up a ton of old and new weeds, had my dad till the dirt (which was packed rock-solid), raked the uneven post-tilled dirt so it was flat, and planted about 12 strawberry plants.  In the process of getting the garden ready, we found a number of treasures.  

1. A Well's Fargo bank frisbee
2. A Hacky sack
3. A Toy gun
4. Plastic handled net-thingys (probably to catch the hacky sack?)
5. A Green Winnie-the-Pooh ball
6. A red & white nerf football
7. An old newspaper 

The toys could have come from the people who lived here before us, or they could have come from the neighbor's kids.  Who knows?  At any rate, we just became owners of some old, dirty toys. 

 I don't have a before picture, but I wish I did! You can trust me--nobody had worked on this little teeny garden in a loooong time!  It was a lot more work than you'd think for such a little bit of...earth. This is the whole garden.  
A close up of the newly-planted strawberry plants.
See that green trash can?  That was filled at least 5 times with walnuts and weeds. That's a whole friggin' ton of old, rotten walnuts.  
The walnut tree. See the branches right above the garden? (P.S.  walnuts are gross.  Does anyone like them?)
Another project.  This one is in the front yard.  It's hard to tell but the flowers in there are completely overrun by a ton of weeds.  

So there you have it.  Proof that I'm not being a lazy, non exerciz-y person.  Productive things are happening at the Lowe house!

6 comments:

joel and laura michelle said...

happy 1st biday little man. supe cute hair. and great job on your garden. did you all buy a house? much love!

Maunster said...

Happy beefday lil Zack! I can't believe your baby is a year! I haven't even met him. Rude. ;)

So news flash... Mauni is in love with gardening! Congrats and doing all that work! Yesterday i thought i'd go dig up a few weeds between snow showers... yeah don't worry, i dug DANDELIONS for 2 HRS! Whatev! My big garbage can is about 1/2 full. We're so fighting. What kind of things are you going to plant?

Cami said...

Your hair looks super cute in that pic!! I am so glad you finally came and I am so glad we got to visit! Love you!
♥

Adam and Andrea Daveline said...

I never doubted your productivity Miss Laurel. Plus your new hairstyle is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I mean seriously!

Triana Ord said...

Happy Birthday Zacky!!!! Aren't first birthday's fun? CUTE hair by the way, I love you in short hair! Loving the yard, you inspire me to get in my yard and make it look better!

Anonymous said...

Laurel- I cannot believe he is a year old!! he is so cute! I am so glad you post so many pics to look at! miss your bummy!