Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Gross Mystery

The following story is not for the faint of heart or the weak of stomach.  So, use your own discretion!

On Sunday, I went to my in-laws for a family gathering.  Most of David's siblings and their children were there.  I had set my purse down on a chest near the toy area when I first got there.  A few hours later, I took Zacky's shoes off and put them in the top of my purse.  

When I left, I just grabbed my purse, Zacky and the diaper bag and went home.  At home I put Zack in the bath and then straight to bed, and then David and I watched a movie and went to bed.

In the morning after Zack had eaten breakfast, I went to get his shoes out of my purse so we could go on a walk.  Before I even got to my purse, I noticed something all over Zacky's shoes.  From where I was standing, it looked like mud.  But, the room was pretty dark, so I didn't know what it was.  When I took the shoes out to inspect them, it looked like someone had spilled something on the shoes.  Like maybe a smoothie, or something.  So I smelled it.  And THAT'S when I found out that it was PUKE!   And it wasn't just on the shoes (inside the shoes, on the bottom, plugging up the holes...), it was in my purse!  It had dripped all down the sides and pooled in the bottom and then dried.  It was a good 1/4 cup or so.  Someone puked in my purse!!  I have no idea who.  It must have been one of the little kids because they alway play around there, but who?  How? When?  I even HOPE that it was Zack.  It's still gross, but not as much. 

 There was no other barf anywhere.  It's not on any clothes of any of the kids, Zack included.  It's not on the floor at grandma's house where my purse was.  The only clue I have is the color of the barf.  But nobody remembers that their kids ate anything that color. No kids were sick that night.  There are no animals at grandma's house or at my house that might have done it.  And no, it wasn't just chewed up food that someone spit in there.  I only wish it was...

I started pulling objects out of my purse-the smell getting worse every second.  I stifled my gag reflex and continued emptying my purse.  Luckily no super important documents were ruined.  Mostly just receipts and wrappers.  So, I chucked the purse and the gross vomit-encrusted papers and washed and bleached Zacky's shoes. 

So, there's my mystery.  It traumatized me.  I've always had an aversion, no, a phobia of vomit.   If anyone has any insight into this, let me know.  It just might remain unsolved forever.

5 comments:

Cami said...

Oh no! That's just sick! I don't know what I would do if it happened to me! I don't understand how you didn't notice it when you picked it up to leave thought? Weird!

@emllewellyn said...

That is freakin sick. And I love it. Ohhhhhhhhh the life of a mom!

cassiecasperson said...

I have been our wards Nursery leader for 2 yrs. One day I came home and there was smashed poop in my nursery bag and my 2 kids just so happened to be home sick so it wasn't one of mine (sadly it would have been better if it had been). Now I totally have a phobia with poop. I feel your pain Laurel!

joel and laura michelle said...

congrats on this new stage of moterhood :) i hope your hosue is well baby proofed!

MyfourTagalongs said...

Ewww! I have a problem with puke anyway but to find it in your purse and to have to smell it! I would have puked right then if it had been me! So sorry to hear that Laurel!